Friday, April 15, 2011

The Chance of a Lifetime


To fully understand why this is such a huge step in our lives I must first recap the last year of our lives, and all the life changing moments that filled it. The New Year brought hope and promise for a soon to be newlywed couple, I was finally starting my last semester of college after eight long years and our wedding was fast approaching the following November. The year was soon darkened by the hospitalization of Lindsey’s Aunt Ethel.  She was in good spirits, as always, and positive even in the face of so much pain.  This cloud lingered several months until April when our beloved Ethel lost her battle to her cancer and was called Home. This was a devastating blow, to what was once thought to be the best year of our lives. 

This year rocked on and school once again consumed my thought process then to add to the excitement of the approaching graduation, I signed up for a study abroad program. Along with some of my friends we decided to extend our trip and back pack through Europe. Well finally the long awaited day of graduation came; both my Mom and Dad were so proud and excited about what life would hold for Lindsey and me. A week after graduation I was off to Europe and a final farewell trip with all my college friends. We had trekked through Amsterdam, Berlin, and had just arrived in Paris the day I called home and my life was forever changed. I was told my dad had suffered a stroke days before and was not doing well; in true dad fashion he told mom not to let me come home to stay and enjoy my trip. Well we all knew that was not going to happen. By 9:00 a.m. the next morning I was in the air on my way home to be with my family. When I reached my dad’s side around midnight his condition had worsened. The next day we transferred our first of many, hospitals. I spent the next several months at my dad’s side. Trying to be strong for him as well as m mom. Unfortunately the fight ended July 31, 2010 at 2:14 a.m. I was right by his side holding his hand when he drew his last breath; he too had been called home. I did not understand then, and still do not understand why he was taken from us, but dad always said, “Never put a question mark where God has placed a period.” Powerful words that have helped me more than anything else I have ever been told. After dad’s passing we were just a few months out from the wedding, so full steam ahead with the planning; which I think came at a good time to keep us busy.

The wedding came up fast and was a huge success.  It was truly a great day, filled with a lot of emotion; knowing that there were 2 great people that would not be there to celebrate with us. After we got home from our honeymoon and everything had calmed down, next thing we knew it was time for the holidays; our first holiday season as Mr. and Mrs., and the first holidays without Ethel and dad. 

Just so you are up with us, in less than 12 months we lost Lindsey’s Aunt Ethel, I graduated college, I lost my Dad, we got married, and went through all the first without Dad; Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Mom and Dad’s Anniversary, and Dads Birthday.
Rough year huh? 

After all that, Lindsey and I knew that it was our time to do something for us; something that was truly ours. So here we go, The Chance of a Lifetime, We are moving to Auckland New Zealand; we are going on a whim, with no job, and no place to live. Just with the belief in each other and God and love for one another that has been tested more in this last year than most are in a lifetime. Our trip is booked, and paper work is done; so please don’t be one to try and talk us out of it or ask us why, because as my Dad always said, “Never put a question mark were God has placed a period.”

With much Love!
Ray

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your post Ray. I cried reading it...bittersweet of course :) I'm so happy you both are able and motivated to pursue an experience like this!!! I'm 100% positive it will change your life for the better.....And you both deserve to have an adventure!....But. In the words of the wise Bon Qui Qui (N1)....don't get crazy (e.g. jump south into a bottomless hole framed by 2 slates of rock 10 feet apart....canyon jumping i think they call it?......swim with sharks, etc).

    Have a safe trip over, and when you get settled, make room on your couch for visitors ;)

    Love you both!
    Leigh Anna

    N1 - I sure hope you know that reference, because if you don't,

    ReplyDelete